Guide to Bethesda
Situated just north of Washington DC, Bethesda has lots to offer including impressive restaurants, museums, theaters, and green spaces. It is very easy to combine a trip down to the country?s capital with a trip to Bethesda. In fact, many who work in the DC area, prefer to live and commute from this area!
Top Attractions in the City:
- Strathmore: Since 1981, the Strathmore has become the epicenter of the arts for Bethesda. The center has hosted the National Philharmonic Orchestra multiple times and has become a haven for music festivals. Alongside enjoying musical performances, you can enjoy the gardens and take a tour of the mansion.
- Capital Crescent Trail: This 11-mile-long trail runs from Georgetown to Silver Spring, Maryland. Walk or ride your bike and enjoy all that mother nature has to offer.
- Round House Theater: Bethesda is a truly a haven for those who love the arts. The Round House Theater hosts over 200 performances throughout the year and each production is a must see!
Other Sights to See:
- Glen Echo Park
- Cabin John National Park
- Bethesda Literary Festival
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz
- Bethesda Fine Arts Festival
Places to Stay:
- Downtown Bethesda: Downtown is the place to stay if you want access to the best bars and restaurants. There are a number of boutique and major chain hotels that line the streets of this area.
- North Potomac: This area is filled with independent shops and restaurants. Here you?ll find boutique hotels and cute cafes. Spend an evening having an intimate dinner and wine.
Bethesda is a very accessible city via public transport. Take the metro bus or rail to get almost anywhere. Montgomery ride-on buses also provide transport to areas outside the city and within the county.
The base fare for a local bus is $2.00 and express is $4.50. Peak fares for the Metrorail are between $2.25 and $6, while off peak fares are between $2 and $3.85.
- Downtown: Once again, Downtown Bethesda is the place to be for drinks and nightlife. Enjoy a concert Bethesda Blues & Jazz or go to a wine bar for drinks. Head to the array of bars and clubs that will leave you dancing into the night.
- Bethesda Montgomery County Restaurant Week: held each summer and winter, this event offers exclusive deals to fine dining. Enjoy the many different types of cuisines that are featured all over Bethesda restaurants, including Mediterranean, Latin American, and French.
- Pike & Rose: This shopping center, which is located in North Bethesda, offers excellent shopping and dining options. City Perch offers an impressive selection of beer and wine, while the shopping center itself offers stores by top designers.
- Bethesda Row: This shopping center offers high end designers as well as boutique shops and independent stores. Shop local while you find beautiful pottery and homeware.
Taking a Bus trip to Bethesda
Taking a bus trip to Bethesda has been found to be more beneficial, flexible, cheap, comfortable and safe than any other option. Ourbus is one of the Bethesda?s favorite bus services. There are so many benefits that come along with it too:
- Bus tracking service
- Free bottled water
- Free rescheduling
- Personal power outlets
- Free internet (Wi-Fi)